About Genazzano Retreat
The purchase of a 90 acre (36.4 hectares) property on the banks of Lake Tinaroo in 1985 made way for the establishment of a suitable retreat and camp centre for the Diocese of Cairns.

Properties at Butcher's Creek (Emmanuel Meadows) and Yungaburra (Maroubi Ski Park) were bought and sold prior to the eventual decision to purchase the idyllic site on the shores of Lake Tinaroo.

In preparation for the construction and the opening, the land size was reduced in 1987 to focus on the most pristine 25 acres of property, which now forms the roaming grounds that make up the retreat today.

A planning committee under the direction of Mr Ray Anderson soon applied themselves to the design and construction of this magnificent centre at a cost of more than $2 Million. The Centre was blessed by Bishop John Torpie and opened by Father Thomas Hunt O.S.A on Sunday, 26th June, 1988.

Lake Tinaroo
Lake Tinaroo, also known as Tinaroo Dam, is a man-made reservoir on the Atherton Tableland in Far North Queensland, Australia.

It was constructed between 1953 and 1958 on the Barron River close to Lake Barrine and Lake Eacham.

Area: 35 km²
Surface elevation: 670 m
Catchment area: 545 km²
Shore length: 209 km
Outflow location: Barron River
Inflow source: Barron River
 
Genazzano Retreat is situated on the banks of Lake Tinaroo
Pretty garden at the retreatThe name 'Genazzano' was chosen to commemorate our long association with the Augustinian Fathers and to honour Mary Mother of Good Counsel Patroness of the Diocese.